The Foster-Adopt Requirements
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a Citizen, permanent resident, or other qualified alien of the United States as defined in 8 U.S.C. 1641(b).
- Must be able to pass a background check for all household members over the age of 14, including DFPS Central Registry Check, DPS Check, and FBI Fingerprint Check.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED, and provide proof of educational level.
- Must be able to pass a fire and health inspection.
- Must obtain a TB test for all household members over the age of 1.
- Must provide proof of marriage certificate, divorce decree or death certificate within immediate family, if applicable.
- Must provide proof of financial status.
- Must provide proof of pet vaccinations.
- Must be in good physical and mental health.
- Must have reliable transportation and current auto insurance/registration.
- Must have a bedroom of at least 80 square feet for a foster child.
- Must obtain all required Orientation, Pre-Service, and Annual training (provided by SJRC).
- Must be willing to abide by a policy of no corporal punishment.
- Must be willing to abide by the DFPS and State of Texas standards, as well as SJRC policies and procedures.